August 18, 2009
First of all, I’ve decided to start my entries from here on out with a random fact or tip of the day.
Tip of the Day: ALWAYS have duct tape and/or string when traveling.
Travel Day (as in...all of this happened within 26 hours):
0 cups of coffee (beat that, Dad)
1 kind-hearted gentleman who lifted my overweight carry-on for me
2 luggage breakdowns (my carry-on suitcase AND backpack broke)
3 European countries
4 flights
Hundreds of nationalities/languages seen and heard
Some thoughts...
I love people-watching. It’s amazing how quickly I was reminded of how American fashion is NOT the world’s status quo. Playing and laughing with children crosses cultural barriers. A smile goes a long way. It was interesting to see [on my long overnight flight] who went to sleep when. I could almost pick out who was from Europe based on who was smart enough to try and adjust while on the plane. I did sleep some (meaning about two hours). Oddly enough, I haven’t seen any unusually shaped packages or nontraditional suitcases.
While I was waiting for my first flight, I was listening to some upbeat inspirational music and got SO excited as I watched people bustling through the terminal. I was reminded of the sayings about people from every tribe and culture being in one place and celebrating together. What an incredible time that will be! I think that might be why I love watching the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. There’s an energy and excitement that can’t be denied. Just think...that’s going to be multiplied beyond imagination!
I’m too tired to be able to create one fluid and coherent entry...maybe more later. Tomorrow I join friends for a couple of weeks, and then I move on to another adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment