Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baasha.



It’s Wednesday afternoon and I just returned home from spending time with the Smith family. A daughter called me while I was in class and asked if I wanted to come for lunch. To be honest I didn’t feel like it because I was tired and was feeling pretty discouraged from language class. However, I recently made a commitment to God that if an opportunity arose to spend time with my local friends, and I was able to do so, I’d go. Yesterday F called, and today Smith daughter called. God is faithful.

Anyway, I went to their house and we ate fresh dolma - SO good. We chatted about several different things and were able to just relax and laugh together. I’m so thankful for that family. They’re very patient with me, and they seem to be really understanding as well. During lunch I discovered that they were going to make bread. I was thrilled! They only make “nan” about once a month - it’s quite the process, and I got to participate today! I sat down and tried to help Granny pat the dough into balls, but she didn’t want me to because I was in nice street clothes. I helped anyway for a few minutes and after I rolled the dough into what I considered to be a very acceptable ball, I showed it to Granny and asked “Baasha?” (Is it good?) She promptly replied, “Nabaash.” (It’s not good.) I love it!! It quickly became a joke that was repeated several times throughout the afternoon. I love that we’re able to laugh and tease one another. Today was particularly special, not only because of the nan-making experience, but also because all of the daughters were there. Because they have different school schedules, I haven’t really been able to spend time with them together.

They’re such a beautiful family, and my time with them today was perfect. We ate, we sat, we made bread, we laughed, we goofed off with the camera. We were. One thing I find difficult here is to just be with people because I find myself constantly trying; trying at language, trying to connect, trying to understand the culture, trying to stay on top of correspondence, trying to learn all of the “ways” to do things. But today we just were together.

That’s what my relationship with the Lord is supposed to be, too. I’m supposed to just be with Him. “Abide in me, and I will abide in you. Apart from me you can do nothing.” And yet so often I’m trying - trying to accomplish things in my own strength and power. God makes it so easy; “Abide in me.” Don’t run in circles until you’re tired. Don’t jump through people’s hoops. don’t juggle balls. “Abide in me, and I will abide in you.” He is “I am”. He just is. All the time. He never becomes anything. He is, and so I want to be. In Him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How'd the bread turn out? How do you eat it; with nutella!!!! ha ha....glad you "were" this week...nice!