Friday, March 12, 2010

Five times a day

It's always worse on Fridays. It sounds like a man is dying...slowly. It starts with one voice and soon others join in from around the city. It's a dark and agonizing cry. I'm safe inside my house and I'm filled with complete peace knowing that I know the one, true God. What bewilders me is how this sound, this awful sound that I usually try to ignore or drown out with music, is supposed to be a call to people all over the city to pray. A call to worship and recognize their god. It's a sound that fills homes and streets and corners and ears and it's horrible. What kind of a god beckons its people to worship and pray with such a demonic sound?

Not mine.



Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;
make music to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,
with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn -
shout for joy before the LORD, the king.

Psalm 98: 4-6

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My Jesus, my Savior
Lord there is none like You
All of my days
I want to praise
the wonders of your
mighty love

My comfort, my shelter
tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath
all that I am
Never cease to worship you
Shout to the Lord
all the earth let us sing
power and majesty praise to the king
Mountains bow down
and the seas will roar
at the sound of your name

I sing for joy
at the work of you hands
Forever I'll love you
forever I'll stand

Nothing compares to the promise I have in you....

Unknown said...

Hmmmm...Amen!
My God is a God of justice and mercy, power and love, righteousness and grace, purpose and peace. Thank you, Jesus!