Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Confused.

In a world of uncertainty, nothing is certain. It seems like an obvious statement, but how often do we make insecure things secure? We slip into mentalities without realizing what’s happening. We forget that the house is made of flammable material, that cars are not made of indestructible matter, and that men are like grass - prone to wither and fall. A couple of weeks ago I learned of a former schoolmate whose husband committed suicide. They’d only been married a couple of years. Last week one of my relationships turned upside down, and I don’t expect to hear from that person again. I’m heartbroken. Upon arriving back home after traveling for a couple of months, a friend told me that her sister has been engaged for 10 days or so. She’s getting married this weekend. A former roommate got married in April, and she’s pregnant. I now have a different roommate. This is life. Changes are constantly happening - they’re not the exception.

Why is our response surprise? What keeps us from operating under the pretense that nothing is certain, that things never stay the same, that the unexpected should be expected?

No comments: