I just returned from visiting Granny and family...minus Granny. It was absolutely exhausting. I felt like I was being blasted by religious jargon for an hour and a half. There was a time period of literally 45 minutes that I didn't say ANYTHING. I went this morning thinking, "I've got some time, it's hot, and it'd be nice just to hang out with the girls for a bit before lunch." They're always asking me to come visit more often, so I walked over around 11. Within 20 minutes they were talking at (not to) me about their beliefs and how it's their responsibility to tell me because I'm going to Hell. And then they turned on the television to a channel that featured sermons and readings of the holy book. There were English subtitles and I was told to "Sit and read." I stayed quiet. In my mind there was absolutely no point in speaking. This was not a dialogue. I'm not a fan of arguing or debating. I think there are very few times in which that sort of conversation is appropriate, particularly when it comes to spiritual topics. I'm mentally tired because of the language barrier, I'm spiritually drained, and I'm irritated. Irritated that it was a one-way conversation and they weren't willing to listen. Irritated that I didn't understand more of the language. Irritated that there were some things that, even if I'd been given opportunity to say something, I didn't know how to respond to. Irritated that I wasn’t more prepared for the visit in the first place. Ugh.
What does love look like in a situation like this? I have no idea. What does it look like to love both Jesus and these girls simultaneously? The answer might seem simple, but sometimes the application is rough.
And here's another thought...how often in conversation do I come across to others as these girls came across to me today? Do I speak with love? Do I speak with gentleness? I hope that I share from my heart and not from memorized apologetics or arguments.
There’s a song from my childhood that pops into my head occasionally. It’s a bit corny, and I’m not a huge Twila Paris fan, but the words seem appropriate today. As much as I enjoy my life here and continue to have peace that I’m where I’m supposed to be, sometimes I feel battered.
***************************************************************************************
Unafraid because His armor is the best
But even soldiers need a quiet place to rest
People say that I'm amazing
Never face retreat
But they don't see the enemies
That lay me at His feet
They don't know that I go running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and and cry for just a while
'Cause deep inside this armor
the warrior is a child
1 comment:
Post a Comment