Another family that I visited used to live down the road from me. They have three daughters near my age and a grandma with most profound, detailed wrinkles, and we've all spent many an afternoon cooking and watching Turkish soap operas. They moved across down last December, and I haven't seen them as often because of the distance. Borrowing my boss's car this week, I popped in to see them Wednesday afternoon. On the phone the youngest daughter sounded so excited to hear that I was coming. Yes, they were all home, and yes, they'd love to see me. No, they didn't have work, and no, no one was sick. Come, come come! Less than thirty minutes after I had arrived, two of the daughters left. Ten minutes later the mom got up, said she had some work, and left. Shortly thereafter the infamous fruit was brought in by the remaining daughter. I sat there on the floor next to the grandma, dumbfounded. I'm aware enough to know when I'm being given the cold shoulder.
I write all this because I've been thinking about how to react. I think ordinarily I'd be upset or hurt after all the time I've spent with these family. I thought that I'd done my best to show them care and respect, with the exception of agreeing to take my friend to America. However, after thinking more about it, I'm ok. Even though I'd love to see my relationship with them continue to deepen, and even more so their curiosity about my faith and interest in Jesus grow, I have a peace that it's not in my hands. I'm not in control. And perhaps it's just my human nature to look for ease in transition, but maybe their pulling back and disgruntled turn in our relationship is God's way of preparing me to say goodbye. I fly out in exactly five weeks. I know that goodbyes are a part of life, but I'm not sure they are something that we're actually intended to face or created for. In a perfect world, there would be no goodbyes. Not even in death. So as I think about this family that I love and will be sad to leave, I continue to have peace knowing that even if they continue to pull away and our relationship is never what is once was, God is sovereign.
No comments:
Post a Comment