Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I enjoy ... teaching.

I'm currently teaching my last course before returning to America. It feels a bit strange yet exciting at the same time. I have six students from two different countries - all male. I suppose I could spend my time wishing I had more students, female students, a different level, etc., etc., etc. But I won't. I'm rather content. It's, for the most part, a group of kind gentlemen who are eager to learn.

Last night we went over how to use a gerund as a noun. [A gerund is a verb + ING.] For example, I enjoy _____________ [swimming, fishing, cooking, etc.]. I wrote several examples on the board and then elicited additional examples from the students. I got such a kick out of the creative, ironic, or just plain sweet answers. Here are a couple of their diverse answers:

"I can't stand waiting." -A student from the Middle East, where almost nothing happens in a timely manner

"I enjoy helping my wife." -A student from a severely patriarchal culture in which a man washing the dishes is considered shameful

"I don't mind teaching lazy students." -A student who teaches math to high school boys




No comments: