Sunday, April 24, 2011

Friday morning I attended the first international worship service for English-speakers. Centered on celebrating Jesus's resurrection, we focused on the cross and how Christ overcame death. It was so encouraging to meet other internationals who are here working in the city. There were people from eight different countries. It made me a little sad that I'd never met some of these young women from East Asia before - sometimes it's easy to get caught up in "what could have been" thoughts. Regardless, it was a refreshing time of worship, and I was reminded of how God is continuing to confirm His desires in my heart. I long to work with and serve people from all nations, and Friday morning was another taste of that.

Later that afternoon I went to see a former student and her family. Spunk is such a cheerful and headstrong girl, and it was a joy to sit with her for awhile. While we have very different world views and beliefs, I was encouraged that she is doing well and thinking critically about life. Her family was amused when I asked to pray for them. Previously Spunk's mother was quite ill, and I prayed for her health. This time everyone in the family was doing quite well, and I think it puzzled them that I wanted to pray. After a few fun pictures and kisses to all, I said good bye. As I walked away from their home, it started raining. Rather than feeling overwhelmingly sad or worried about what will become of Spunk, my heart was full of peace.

Friday evening I spent the night with a friend. Without going into a lot of details, I'll describe my time with her as an answer to prayer. Truly, I witnessed God at work.

It was a Good Friday.



No comments: